Student wellbeing

Student welfare

Our Student Services team provide an extensive range of services and specialist support to people experiencing short or long term difficulties.

You may face family or relationship worries, homelessness, caring responsibilities or problems related to your health and wellbeing including emotional health, sexual health, drugs and alcohol.

These services include one-to-one personal support outside the classroom, counselling, help to access additional learning support and help to access financial support such as course funding, free college meals and help with childcare costs.

For information visit Student Services or contact 01462 424242.  Remember you may be eligible to receive free lunchtime meals.

Meet our team

We are a highly experienced team accessible to all students on a drop-in or bookable basis. We provide confidential non-judgmental support on a wide range of issues


Our dedicated support coaches are here to ensure you have a happy, healthy and successful time at NHC.

Throughout the year, we hold a number of events to offer information and encouragement about following a healthy lifestyle and making informed choices.

Contact your support coach:

Tel: 01462 424242 and select student services option

Email: Support@nhc.ac.uk


Additional Learning Support

If you have a learning or physical disability we may be able to offer you Additional Learning Support (ALS).  You’ll complete an interview with a member of the ALS team who will help identify any areas where you may need extra help with your studies.

If you had exam access arrangements in the past, you may be entitled to have these again at NHC.  You will need to bring medical evidence or a signed ‘form 8’ from your previous setting and hand it to ALS staff by the end of September.  Further testing may be required to fulfil JCQ awarding body regulations.

If you wish to discuss your support needs, talk to your tutor or contact als@nhc.ac.uk/01462 424343.

If you have learning support input at NHC, it may be possible to complete a full diagnostic assessment for a Disabled Students’ Allowance application.  There is a DSA Access Centre where you can take needs assessments at our Hitchin Campus.

Mental Health Support

If you’re struggling to cope, you don’t have to do it alone. Togetherall offers a safe, and anonymous community to connect from anywhere, at any time.

Students and staff can register for FREE and join an online community dedicated to creating a safe place and starting conversations about mental health.

Website: www.togetherall.com

Financial support

It’s really important that you don’t let money matters get in the way of you attending college.  If you think you need financial support, please visit your Student Services team or email moneymatters@nhc.ac.uk.

Find out more here:

Course fees

Advanced learning loans

Additional Financial Support

Adult courses funding

Herts Access Centre